This unit contains approximately 19 hours and 30 minutes (4 days) of training activities and 1-2 days of practical experience in a health center.
Community Health Workers are trained to:
- Explain the importance of vaccinations.
- Understand the objectives, strategies, and target groups of the Haitian Expanded Program on Immunization.
- Identify the signs and symptoms of the various vaccine-preventable illnesses.
- Educate families, caregivers, and community members about the importance of vaccinations during home visits and community events.
- Set up and run vaccination posts in their communities.
- Safely administer vaccinations to infants, children and adults.
- Administer vitamin A supplements for infants and children aged 0 months to 5 years.
- Recognize side effects of vaccinations and refer infants, children and adults experiencing serious side effects to the health center.
- Understand the components of the cold chain for vaccinations.