A community health worker (CHW) program can significantly improve health outcomes, particularly for the poorest members of the community. In PIH’s accompaniment model of care, patients can build a trusting relationship with a CHW who will accompany them in solidarity through their journey back to health. In addition to direct accompaniment, CHW programs can provide a broad range of other primary as well as secondary prevention services. The unit discusses strategies to help organizations implement a CHW program to improve access as well as the quality of care that is provided in resource-limited areas.
- The basics of a community health worker program
- Increasing access to health care
- Recruiting community health workers
- Compensating community health workers
- Supervising community health workers