Maternal Center of Excellence
No woman should die giving birth.Donate Now
No woman should die giving birth.
Sierra Leone has one of the highest maternal mortality rates in the world, making it one of the most dangerous places to give birth.
With your support, we can help ensure that every pregnant woman can look forward to childbirth as a moment to celebrate, not one to fear.Donate Now
Sierra Leone at a Glance
Together, we can cure this injustice.
With the Ministry of Health, PIH began improving the maternal care available at Koidu Government Hospital. The facility now has:
- 24-hour electricity to support C-sections
- a blood bank to respond to post-partum hemorrhages
- a fully stocked pharmacy in labor and delivery
- trainings for clinicians to improve their skills and provide better care to patients
With the support of John and Hank Green and their incredible community, PIH continues to expand this transformative work.
The Maternal Center of Excellence
A bold solution to radically reduce maternal mortality in Sierra Leone
The new center, which broke ground in April 2021, will provide advanced maternal and child health services in Kono District and beyond. It will serve as a hub for global innovation in maternal health to be replicated in Sierra Leone and around the world.
Multiply Your Impact
Amplify the Effort
Become a maternal health advocate by starting your own fundraiser. It's easy:
- Set a goal
- Explain why you're supporting John and Hank Green and PIH in radically reducing maternal mortality in Sierra Leone
- Share with your family and friends!