Unit 2: The HIV Program
Clinicians are trained to:
• Conduct an initial medical evaluation of a new HIV-positive patient.
• Use CD4 cell counts and WHO Clinical Staging to determine if ART should be started.
• Choose an appropriate ART regimen and initiate cotrimoxazole prophylaxis.
• Conduct monitoring visits for patients on ART and not yet on ART, and describe the monitoring visit schedule.
• Evaluate patient adherence to ART and describe strategies for increasing adherence to ART and clinic visits.
• Monitor a patient’s response to ART.
• Identify and manage side effects caused by antiretroviral drugs (ARVs).
• Complete enrollment, follow-up, and summary forms accurately.
This unit contains approximately 14 hours of training sessions.